SHOOT FIRST, AIM LATER

“Shoot first, aim later”

What?

This was the most ludicrous thing I had ever heard.

You know that moment in church, when you are settling in, mentally, trying to get into the spirit of the Word, and then you hear something that has you backtracking and replaying the words over and over in your mind.

Who got it wrong? Me or the preacher? My money was on me.

Then he repeated it.

Of course, this wasn’t the kind of sermon that I was going to have any trouble of keeping wake at, no matter how tired I was.

Pastor, what happened to ‘Look before you leap’ and all the wisdom we learnt growing up? How do you aim when the bullet is already out of the gun? A little too late, maybe?

‘That is the secret of very successful people. They start first, then make adjustments later’

“If you wait for perfect conditions, you will never get anything done”

Eccl 11:4 (The Living Bible translation)

Needless to say, I was forced to go over in my mind the countless opportunities I had missed, just because I hadn’t had it all figured out. Because I was waiting for the perfect conditions before I got anything done.

The moment is never going to be just right.

The message was really a wake up call. Overthinkers, the little trusting (of yourselves and God), over-analysts- BEWARE. Great planning is great. But after planning, you must go when you should go.

A 10% chance of failure (versus a possible 90% chance of success) sometimes looks daunting enough to induce inertia.

Shoot first, aim later. Start off in faith first, work out the details later

blogger-image-1048848811

“The quantum leap has nothing to do with being smarter or richer but everything to do with facing your fears”

The fear of starting something new is actually the fear of failure which has been said to be a form of the fear of death.

“…By embracing death, taking it into himself, he destroyed the Devil’s hold on death and freed all who cower through life, scared to death of death”

Heb 2.14,15

Really, there is no excuse for the christian not to birth his destiny.

So here’s to suppressing  putting away the need for absolute control over every single facet of every single plan that I have.  Here’s to getting off couch coaching and actually getting into the game. Here’s to facing AND OVERCOMING fear and taking a step in that direction.

Here’s to following the Holy Spirit’s lead, when He says go, and not answer ‘not quite yet’

So I guess that means I’m going to continue my book. And go bungee jumping. And become a deejay. And…

You know what, I think I’m going to start by being the first Blogger-in chief of Breakpoint.

Make the leap. Take that chance on faith

Have a great week and Stay Connected!

4 thoughts on “SHOOT FIRST, AIM LATER

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s